Saturday, January 20, 2007

Lunch...

Allow me a bit of self indulgent boasting if you will. Yesterday I was lucky enough to fly to Paris for lunch. Yup, just for lunch. There was a candidate for a position with my company who was there so I met with him over lunch for an initial interview.

I’ve done a lot of complaining lately about living here, but this was a really cool thing about being over here. I flew over, got downtown from the airport, had lunch, went up to the top of the Arc de Triomphe (see pictures below), and then came home. The food was pretty good. I had probably the best Caesar salad I’ve ever had (I know, what was I doing getting a Caesar salad, but trust me, this one was worth it). Then I had Steak au Poivre with some excellent mashed potatoes. Dessert was a chocolate fudge cake that almost exploded with fudge when I cut into it with my fork. The small scoop of vanilla ice cream that came with it was some of the best ice cream I’ve ever had. Give it to the French, they know dessert.



La Tour Eiffel (I wish I'd had a real camera because the sky was really cool, but this picture doesn't do it justice.)



Champs Elysées (Looking toward The Louvre. The jumbled looking parking lot at the bottom of the picture is actually a roundabout. Ask Wife about that sometime because she's run across that. There's a tunnel that other people who are lucky enough to find it take.)

Au revoir,
Frog

2 comments:

Rebecca said...

Wow -- that lunch sounds like it had enough calories for an entire WEEK! Can I come over there and have it too?? :)

PS: Nice job on the blogging, you are finally back at-it!

Aaron said...

You'd think that, but you also have to consider it wasn't US sized portions. The steak was probably about 6 oz., the salad was fairly large, but it's a salad, and the dessert, while extremely rich, was fairly small. Not that I'm complaining. A small bit of something really good is always better than loads of mediocre food. (US chain restaurants take note please, especially you TGI Fridays. Slapping cheese on a grill plate is not creating a new dish for your menu. It's slapping cheese on a grill plate.)