Thursday, March 16, 2006

It's the most wonderful time...

Okay, so maybe not the most wonderful time of the year, but it sure ranks toward the top. It's the first weekend of the NCAA tournament. Is there any sporting event quite as cool as the first two days of the tournament? Sure the Super Bowl (am I going to get sued by the NFL for using the name?) is big, but there's four hours of lead up before the action even starts. Today, games have started already and will continue to be played pretty much continuously for the next 13 hours. It's a hoops fan's paradise.

A friend of mine is having a watch party at his place. I'm headed over there in a bit. We'll have our pick of games with the local CBS coverage, the March Madness On Demand, and there's a rumor that Time Warner is going to be offering multiple CBS channels. One can only hope.

The Jayhawks don't play until tomorrow night, so today is a day to enjoy the atmosphere, cheer for upsets (as long as they don't wreck my bracket), and hope that Billy Packer doesn't announce any of the games I want to watch.

A word about brackets. I always do two. One with KU winning, another that I try to be completely objective. This year that made me put Duke into the Elite Eight, but I don't think they'll beat Texas. That was lucky because under no circumstances will I ever pick Duke to win a championship. If they play Missouri I'll hope for all the players to be too ill to play so the game is called with a double forfeit.

Fiance filled out a bracket based on which mascot she liked the best. With her leanings toward the Irish, Iona went far in her bracket.

That's all the tournament musings for the moment. I'm off for Japan on Sunday, so I should have some good stories from that trip.

Rock Chalk!
Frog

No comments: