Monday, March 13, 2006

Slacking...

Wow, a whole five posts and I'm already slacking. But I have an excuse. Lack of or problems with Internet access over the past week kept me from posting. As pseudo proof I have a post that I wrote on 6 March (trying to go British typing my dates), but said connection problems did not allow me to post. Back tonight with stories of CeBIT if I can get my room painted in a decent amount of time.

Frog

Greetings from the UK. After a very long travel day I finally arrived in England. This is the second time in the last few months that I've gotten stuck on the runway in Kansas City waiting to leave for Chicago. The first time I was in first class. The second time I was one row behind first class. Let me say that being in first class was infinitely preferable. While they're having drinks and snacks, I'm sitting there wondering if we're ever going to get off the ground. Plus the anticipation of sitting on another plane for another six hours did nothing to help me tolerate the first plane. But, we finally got to Chicago, I high-tailed it from Concourse F to Concourse C just in time to catch another flight to London (I had already missed my original flight).

Of course by the time I got to Chicago at about 8:45 I was already starving, but there wasn't time to get anything to eat. I barely made the flight. Then, once they finally started serving the meal, the attendant had to go back to the back of the aircraft to retrieve something. Of course she left the cart sitting right by me, and I was hungry enough airline food even smelled good.

Luckily I was able to have two seats to myself, so I actually slept on the flight. Two glasses of wine and a double strength Benadryl certainly helped. The taxi ride to Romsey wasn't bad. The driver was actually quite nice. He had a lot of recommendations on buying a car here which I think will be helpful later on.

At the moment I'm waiting for some people in a meeting to finish up so I can catch a ride to the hotel and get cleaned up. I hate the airplane funk feeling. It's just not pleasant. Plus I could really go for some food, even British food :)

Everyone I've met at the office here so far has been really nice. It's kind of hectic around here as everyone is working feverishly to prepare for CeBIT. It's definitely going to be interesting working here in a couple of months.

That's all for now. There may be more tomorrow when I'm a little more lucid. Four hours of sleep doesn't cut it for this frog.

Feeling squashed in England,
Frog

No comments: